Taylor Made

Taylor Made

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Bring on that Blizzard, baby!

Being from Hawaii, I have always had a fascination with the cold and snow, since we don't experience that on our beautiful tropical paradise. When we took family trips as kids, we would have fun making "smoke" come out of our breath when it was cold. As an adult, whenever I was planning a vacation, I always tried to plan it for the winter so I could experience the cold. Am I a weirdo? Well, yes (and not just for this). Odd as it may seem, one of the things I was looking forward to when moving to Maryland was the change in seasons, and snow for winter. People have told me "Give it a year - you'll be over the snow." I honestly don't think so. When I think of the reasons why I love Hawaii, it is because of my family, the people/spirit of Hawaii, and the FOOD. Don't get me wrong - I love the beach - but the warm weather is not at the top of my list. So, being the weirdo that we have established that I am, you can imagine how excited I got for the prospect of a blizzard dumping lots of snow!

Reasons I can be excited for a blizzard:

1. I have a warm home, with an awesome heater.
2. I have a condo that shovels the walkways for us.
3. I have a husband that digs the car out of the snow (shoutout to ROB! HOLLA). 
4. I am a stay at home Mom, so I am not forced to go out and function in the snow in the frigid early morning.
5. sweatpants all day long. Bring on the stretchy pants!

January's blizzard brought anywhere from 18-30" of snow! In our area, I believe it was about 22". There is something peaceful and beautiful about watching falling snow from your window, and when the entire down is blanketed in white, it is so quiet and serene. One thing I was worried about was losing electricity (which means no heater, no hot water, no hot food, etc) but thankfully, our power stayed on the whole time. Rob was off for two days from work (the roads were snowy and not cleared), and we were able to just be home and enjoy some quality family time "cooped up" together in the house.

View of our parking lot (our car is the first car)
Project: rediscover our car, courtesy of
Skeletor


We came downstairs quickly just to take a pic of the snowberms,
then ran back up! Uriah - such a good sport. LOL. Within seconds, all that snow had
collected on the top of the stroller!

The aftermath - one of our park benches 
Before snow
After snow

 


2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so glad you posted this. As an island girl we never really get to experience this so I felt like I could appreciate all the things you mentioned right along with you. (Sort of.) And I laughed at your five reasons to be excited for the blizzard! Sounds about right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful pictures!! And I laughed out loud at the "Bring on the stretchy pants!" Ha!! You are an amazing writer, photographer, wife, and mom!! XO

    ReplyDelete