Taylor Made

Taylor Made

Saturday, February 3, 2018

Elijah turns 6 months! WHAT?! (See also: Mom has been busy NOT blogging)

I cannot believe that Elijah is already 6 months! Where does the time go?! Between feedings, and diaper changes for two kids, and the busyness of LIFE, blogging has fallen to the wayside. That's mostly OK, except for the fact that this is somewhat my "baby book/journal," so tired me needs to fight the urge to sit and watch something vs. demand more from my brain to sit down and construct cohesive thoughts. In addition to that, my 'opihi actually doesn't give me much time at all (see: 20 or 40 minute naps) to sit and write, and part of nap time is used to do some cleaning or eat lunch! Case in point: I just wrote three sentences, and I hear Elijah waking up from his nap. This could've been directly as a result from his brother yelling gibberish from his crib. I swear, Uriah never is as awake/amped or talkative than when he is in his crib for nap time. #THESTRUGGLE




ANYWAY. Enough of my complaining! Let's get to the meat and potatoes! (which, by the way, sounds absolutely delicious in comparison to the boring tuna sandwich I just had)



5 months
6 months


Some current highlights for Elijah:
-In the 70%s for height, and the 30s for weight (both my guys are more slender - from whom do they get this gene?!) His pediatrician said his growth and development look wonderful and are right on track!
-has started eating solid foods! We started rice cereal and poi at 4.5 months after our pediatrician OK'd it to see if it would help with sleep. It didn't - but he loved eating and did really well with it right from the beginning, so we continued to give him 1 meal at night. Nowadays, he gets 2-3 meals, and we have introduced more of a variety of foods. So far, he has had rice cereal, poi, sweet potato, banana (hated), avocado (disliked), prunes, pears, butternut squash, and peas! Everything except for the prunes and pears have been homemade. I don't mind making baby food, and love knowing exactly how it is made and what went into it (i.e., INGREDIENT + LOVE).


Banana? DISGUSTING
Absolutely revolting
-his "lovely hula hands" or tentacle arms. He has the most animated and active hands EVER. When he's happy, the hands are a-flappin. When he's upset, the hands are a-flappin. I'm surprised he hasn't levitated off the ground yet.




-He has two bottom teeth and two more on the way in! (He got the bottom teeth really early at 4.5 months!) 
-He has recently started sleeping bigger stretches at night, which generally is anywhere from 4-7 hour blocks. Since he is still nursing, this kind of a block is pretty good and not out of the ordinary. 
-He is doing lots of babbling and baby talk. Can make the M and D sounds, so it sounds like he is saying Mama and Dada!
-he can sit up for a few minutes unassisted! 
-is a perpetually happy baby. He doesn't sleep much, but really, that's the only challenge he's really given. He is such a happy and pleasant baby! Even if he was  just crying, once he's picked up, he's back to his happy self with lots of smiles to give away. He is my happy boy.


Sitting up like a big boy!
Looking dapper for church
Smiles for miles

Uriah has a lot to update, as well! 
-Uriah can recognize numbers 1-8 (out of order, and randomly!) He notices the numbers on the elevator, TV, on the bottoms of his stacking cups...really anywhere! I was shocked that he is already able to do this! He can also count from 1-20 and 20-1 (I realized this when his Super Simple Songs was playing a number song and he could do the whole thing!)
-He can identify letters A, O, N, M, Y, S (from what I can say for sure - there may even be more!) 
-Is very polite, and says "thank you" and "you're welcome" regularly....even in instances where it makes me roll my eyes. For example, I told him to get down from the table (he was climbing onto the table), and when he got down I told him THANK YOU, to which he responded "you're welcome!" Rob was also changing his dirty diaper, and as Rob was cleaning him, he said, "Thank you!" So polite! Almost TOO POLITE. haha.
-He also has been paying attention to Rob's football antics, because now he ALSO will say, "COME ON!!!" "LET'S GO!!!!!!!!" JUST like Rob does. It's pretty cute.
-He loves taking out his hairbrushes daily, and saying, "Brush Hair!" even though he ACTUALLY HATES brushing his hair. 
-Speaking of taking things out, he is in the current phase of life where dumping things out is more fun than playing with the things. Nothing tops a good dumping of books from the bookshelf, or an entire bag of blocks, or all the puzzle pieces, or stacking cups, or basically anything that was once contained. Suffice it to say, every day is D-Day (aka DUMPING DAY) in our house.
Some of his fine handiwork
-Uriah currently loves screaming. Apparently, this is just a kid thing? All kids love it? WHY?! IDK but it drives me and Rob to insanity and back at least 5 times a day. I've tried "Stop screaming",  the even nicer "quiet voices in the house", we've tried threatening, even a little swat. NOTHING WILL QUELL THE BURNING DESIRE TO SCREAM. NOTHING!!!
-He also LOVES a good chase! Pretty much any time there's some distance between you and him, and you take one step towards him, he turns it into a game of chase. ESPECIALLY when something needs to get done! (E.G., brushing teeth, taking a bath, napping, changing diaper, etc) I basically have to avoid eye contact, and move REALLY SLOWLY so I can make it as UNFUN as possible. Even THAT usually doesn't work. If all else, he is determined to have fun! 
-He got his first haircut last month! His hair was going into his eyes, and we found a gal on base who cuts  curly hair (she also has similar hair texture to uriah, which was a bonus). She was so awesome, and Uriah did great! He looked very NOT thrilled to be there, but he didn't cry or move around or anything! His hair is much easier for us to manage now.
THIS FACE!!! Priceless.


Uriah's current favorites are dinosaurs, donuts, trains (especially Thomas), the movies Secret Life of Pets and Lion King, and of course, Elijah. Uriah is such a good older brother, and displays such sweetness and love for Elijah EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. I love being able to witness that.
 

*melt* Ladies, hold onto your ovaries.
Lastly I wanted to write down a few funny things Uriah has said,  because I know I'll forget soon enough. When we went on our Ohio trip and were all staying in a hotel room (that's for another blog), Uriah was in a crib but sharing our room, which was new for him. He kept wanting to get up, so I kept saying "LAY DOWN"..."LAY DOWN"..."LAAAAY DOWN!" Not too long after that, Elijah started fussing so I got up to go tend to him, when I hear Uriah from the crib telling me, "LAY DOWN..." HA!! 

I also used my fur lined coat on this trip, which Uriah hadn't seen me use before! When I put the hood up, Uriah saw me and said, "Lion King!" 

I guess it does look pretty mane-ish

Well! That's the update for now! I'm sure by the time I write a blog again, another 6 months will have gone by! (But let's hope not.. :)




2 comments:

  1. 2 things...
    1. I can't believe Elijah dislikes avocados!!
    2. Currently holding ovaries in place, which is no simple task might I add....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!!!! I know right?! Whose weirdo avocado shunning kid is this?!
      And LOL

      Delete