Taylor Made

Taylor Made

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Memoirs of a Bride, Chapter 1: Giddy Engaged Girl

While my little angel snoozes, I decided I would write a blog that is post-dated but still very important - details of my engagement, wedding, and honeymoon (not TOO many details, of course.. :P!) I'm going to break it up into 3 separate entries because this is a blog, not a novel! On a side note, I was also able to make two loafs of banana bread and clean the kitchen while the baby slept! Let's keep this going, shall we? 

Chapter 1

Rob and I got engaged on Jan 1, 2014. He had just come off of a long deployment at sea (it had been extended from an original estimated turnaround of six months to near 9 months). It wasn't our first time apart, but it was definitely the longest (and I hope it stays that way!). Before Rob left, he sat me down to have a serious discussion about us. He asked me where I saw us in the future. I don't remember who brought up marriage first, but I'm thinking it was him, because I had always been cautious about bringing up the "M" word lest I scare off my great catch! In retrospect, I should've known that Rob had always made it a point to let me know that he took our relationship seriously. I had also heard many a horror story of girls shoving marriage talk too early down the throat of potential mates, only to turn them off and have them running for the hills.  When I finally conceded that yes, marriage was what I was thinking because "I wouldn't be in this relationship if marriage was not the ultimate goal," and that I hadn't wanted to pressure him, he responded that I put NO pressure on him. LOL. At least one of us was brave enough to bring it up! He made it very clear that when he came back, his intentions were to take us to the next level, and that I wouldn't be waiting in vain. This was the absolute perfect talk to have with me prior to deploying, because it was such a comfort for me. 

It is no secret that deployments are exhausting, arduous, and dangerous, not just for the physical aspects to the service member, but also to his relationship(s). I went into the deployment knowing that there would be times where communication was infrequent or impossible, and that phone and Skype dates would be even farther and fewer between. I know that it was because of this candid talk we had that I felt confident and reassured that during those lulls in communication, it was not because Rob was off finding himself a second and third girlfriend in Dubai or Italy, but because communications were actually dangerous or prohibited at the time. When I dropped Rob off at the airport, despite knowing he was leaving me for months, I felt renewed, refreshed, and determined to tackle this deployment and come out victorious. I heavily relied on keeping myself happily busy with working out, meal prepping, and spending time working or with family. (This was the period where I lost 45 pounds because my life literally was work, gym, meal prep, sleep, repeat) 

The long awaited sailor pick-up!


Soooo happy...and soooo skinny.


Fast forward to New Years Eve. Rob and I were at his apartment on Citron Street, and he told me to pick a place to eat. I said Sorabol (korean food). If I had known this was to be one of the most "romantic" points of my life, I would've picked someplace a little more romantic and a little less kimchee breath. BUT! I guess keeping the secret was important, and the secret was kept! I also found out that in that same day, Rob went down to Kahaluu TWICE to try to ask my dad permission to marry me (Isn't he so old school and sweet?!). The first time, Rob walked into the house and my Dad said "oh, I think Liv's in the back room" (ummm..it was 9am and I was definitely at work. lol) then proceeded to go outside and feed the dogs, leaving Rob in the living room confused, alone, and still nervous. He followed my dad outside and hinted that he wanted to talk to him about me. My Dad caught the drift and then told Rob to come back later when my Mom was home!!! So poor, agreeable Rob said ok, then went back to discuss it when my Mom was there. Of course, they were ecstatic for me and readily agreed! I digress....

After dinner, Rob asked if I wanted to go out to watch the fireworks or to watch them from the apartment window (his apartment was in Waikiki). My lazy self said that watching it from the apartment was fine. I assume he thought I would've said to go out and watch them, because he suggested that we go out and watch them from the Halekoa. In retrospect, Im so glad we did! Getting engaged at all is exciting regardless of where it happens, but if I could choose one, I would pick getting engaged on the beach in Waikiki vs. in an apartment on Citron next to our musty old grumpy neighbors.

We picked a spot on the sand along the water. Considering how crazy busy everywhere is for New Year's Eve, the Halekoa was surprisingly open, though there was still a pretty good amount of people there. When 12am rolled around, Rob kneeled up. I thought he was trying to get a better view, but he was getting on his knee to do the traditional proposal pose. I was sitting in front of him so I was oblivious to everything that was going on behind me. Rob brought his arm around me, ring in hand,  and said, "Would you be my wife?" My immediate and initial response was, "Are you serious????" SEGUE: I generally HATE my dorky initial reactions. I am so not smooth. When Rob first told me that he loved me, my initial response was, "Reallllly?" pretty much like Steve Urkel, in my opinion. Ugh. I still cringe. ANYWAY, after the "are you serious" I obviously said yes. The ring was GORGEOUS, and I LOVED how it sparkled on my finger. I couldn't have picked a more beautiful ring out myself. I later learned that Rob had emailed my best friend, Angela, while on deployment to get information on the type of ring that I might want. So ANGELA ALSO did a great job! The people around us who knew what had happened started clapping. So that was it! On a beach in Waikiki, with fireworks in the background, with the man I loved, I got engaged. It was such an exciting night for me, and one that always makes me smile when I think of it. It was and will always be one of the best decisions of my life!



4 comments:

  1. Love it! And I'm sure you'll be glad you wrote down the details. :) I feel like that was my exact comment on your birth story blog haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet, exciting, perfect post!! I couldn't stop smiling through the whole thing! We were so tickled that Rob was "old school" and asked Dad's "permission" to marry you. I guess at your age (both of you), it was more a gesture of respect, and asking for our blessing (as opposed to our permission). You're right, though, we were so excited for you, and happy that after such a long, worthwhile wait, your handsome prince had come! We love Rob!! Couldn't ask for a better son-in-law (for us), or husband (for you!). LOVE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Love this post! How exciting to play a little part in your story. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOOOOOOOVE this blog! And such a sweetly orchestrated proposal! Your comments cracked me up (like about your "initial responses")! And I think it's so important for guys to be "old school," though I think a more fitting description would simply be "traditional," because it shows a lot more respect. Good job Rob!

    ReplyDelete